Sunday, January 25, 2009

Quantity Recommendations

Here are some guidelines to go by when planning your food storage. These were taken from LDS sources. Admittedly, I am not totally certain how this was calculated or what it really means in terms of meals, calories, or consumption but it is at least food for thought.

By the way, I decided to plan for 5 people rather than for the 4 in my household. I figured that I'd rather have too much than too little.

Recommendations for Food Storage Quantities (pounds per person per year)

Grains: 300 lbs.
Legumes: 60 lbs.
Powdered milk: 16 lbs.
Cooking oil: 10 quarts (2.5 gallons)
Sugar/honey: 60 lbs.
Salt: 8 lbs.
Water: 14 gallons for a 2-week period.

Adaptations:

You may have to tweak it to meet your family's needs. For instance, you may need more milk than indicated if you have young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment