Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Food, Food, and More Food

As some of you know, I have been working on a 4-week Food Storage Menu (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). This menu is mostly made up of things that our family eats on a very regular basis (with some added easy to store items). I felt that if I could find out what commodities I needed for a four week period, I could then realistically decide what we need for a years supply of food.
For example: My family would use approximately 12 gallons of milk in 4 weeks. Multiply 12 by 13, and I find that I need enough powdered milk to make 156 gallons. This process, while time consuming, makes it much easier for me to conceptualize what a years supply actually is.

This task has been a bit daunting at times, but my menu is now complete and I am in the process of tallying the commodity list (which I will happily share once complete). I am finding that we actually need a lot more of some items (canned fruits and veggies, meat, etc), and less of others (some of those things you think of as staples- rice, beans, etc.)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with nothing to eat besides wheat, oats, rice, dried beans, and powdered milk. I would probably live, but. . . what kind of life would that be?

Sorry about the rambling, but as you can see, food has been on my mind lately.
So one request... if you have any recipes that are easy (this is key) and utilize some of the food storage staples, then please, please, please, send them my way. It would probably be nice if they taste good, as well.
-Specifically I am looking for a tried and true whole wheat bread recipe (I have a good 1/2 white- 1/2 wheat recipe, but whole wheat is much more easily stored than flour).
-I am also calling out for any good tuna recipes (Ted would probably question whether "good" and "tuna" could ever belong in the same sentence, but if you think it's good, send it my way and I will try it).

No comments:

Post a Comment