Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Getting a Master Plan

Sometimes dealing with food storage seems unbelievably overwhelming. Where do I start? What do I buy first? What approach should I take?

I found a master plan on www.foodstoragemadeeasy.net which really helped me. They suggested the following steps:

Step 1: Shelving & storage
Step 2: Water
Step 3: Three months supply of normal food
Step 4: Long-term supply planning
Step 5: Grains
Step 6: Legumes
(Brenda would add dry milk & drinks with vitamin C in here!)
Step 7: Baking ingredients
Step 8: Fruits and Vegetables
Step 9: Comfort foods
Step 10: Non food items

I liked their plan but I thought it needed four tweaks.

First, for me, I'd rather have a variety of grains, legumes, and fruits and vegetables rather than a ton of one item. So, I'd prefer to work on steps 5-8 simultaneously so that I am acquiring a variety of food.

Second, storing dried milk and powdered drinks with vitamin C is important, especially if you have children.

Third, I'd opt to work on non food items (#10) like toilet paper and tampons before I'd worry about comfort food (#9). Ladies, would you rather have a chocolate cake or a tampon during a disaster? Tampon? I thought so!

Fourth, I wouldn't let lack of shelving hold me up from beginning. You don't need a decked out storage room to start. Yes, plan for shelving and storage space but start gathering even if the shelves aren't in place quite yet.

What are your thoughts, ideas, tweaks? What would work for your situation and family?

No comments:

Post a Comment