Friday, April 10, 2009

Ham Fried Rice & Cooking Rice in the Oven

Melissa taught me how to make rice in the oven, and I don't think I've ever had it turn out better. So, I used her technique tonight while making a Ham Fried Rice recipe. I'll pass both her technique and the recipe along.

3 Tablespoons oil, divided

4 eggs, slightly beaten

1/2 cup chopped onion

3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed (I think I used more)

1 cup chopped cooked ham (I think I used more)

4 cups cooked rice (3 to 3 1/2 would be better)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

dash pepper

2 Tablespoons soy sauce or to taste

  • STEP 1:
    Using an ovensafe pan, bring rice to boil on stovetop (also turn oven on to 375 degrees). After it reaches a boil, cover with tinfoil and put into hot oven for 12-15 minutes. While this is cooking, prepare step #2.

  • STEP 2:
    In a large skillet, use 2 T. oil and scramble eggs. When finished, set aside on plate. In same skillet, use the other 1 T. oil and cook onions. Add peas, ham and seasonings. Stir fry. Add scrambled eggs. When all warm and cooked, add cooked rice and mix all together.
This is a good food storage recipe because it could be made from all canned items, although frozen peas and fresh ham are certainly better.

No comments:

Post a Comment